Thursday, January 18, 2018

Istanbul, Turkey

After three days of very wet and very cold riding, I have arrived in the ancient city of Istanbul, once known as Constantinople, Lygos and Byzantium.  I must admit, the ride up was more interesting than I thought it was going to be.  The road ran along the coast and the views were just beautiful.  The west side of Turkey shares the Aegean sea and a bit of culture with Greece.  This sharing is primarily a result of this land changing hands between the Greeks, Romans, Byzantines and Ottoman empires a number of times over history.

It appears that the Turkish government has been spending allot of money on their bridges and roads since I last spent a significant amount of time kin Country (2001).  The infrastructure is quickly becoming first world, at least here on the west coast.  Business has been heavily intruded on by the west.  Starbucks, McDonald's, Burger King, Dominoes, Papa Johns, Remax, and Nike have all staked out their significant claims in the Country.

I have been in the Country for about a week now, and I will say that the Turks are a very polite and helpful group of people.  Always willing to assist if there is an issue, and I have been invited multiple times to lunch or to join someone for dinner.   I will be walking through a restaurant, and they will see that I am alone, and ask I would like to join them.  I usually decline, but that is because there are few English speakers here, and to have someone at the table that can not communicate makes everyone feel awkward. 

Europe Roue Map

Complete Trip 

Stage Distance: 277 mi (448 km) 
Total Distance Traveled by Motorcycle: 22.526 mi (36,333 km) 
Countries/Territories Visited: USA, Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Argentina, Uruguay, Canada, Portugal, Spain, MoroccoGibraltar, France, Monaco, Italy, Vatican City, San Marino, Slovenia, Austria, Slovakia, Hungary, Czech Republic, Poland, Ukraine, Transnistria, Moldova, Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Montenegro, Albania, Kosovo, Macedonia, Greece, Turkey

No comments:

Post a Comment