Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Trabzon, Turkey

This will be my last night in Turkey.  I am spending it in the small seaside city of Trazbon.  Nice little city, equipped with huge pedestrian areas, squares, and restaurants galore.  Prices are cheap here.  I am staying in a Holiday Inn quiality hotel, with breakfast, one block from the main square, for just $22.  Dinner at a local restaurant was just $2.75.  I walked around the square for a while, got cold and headed hack to my hotel.

With the exception of today, the trip from Istanbul to Trazbon has been brutal.  It has been 700 miles of cold rain, sleet and snow.  I was the coldest, wettest and most concerned that I have ever been on a mototcycle.  The temperature was hovering aorund the freezing point and I was getting a bit concerned about the roads freezing over.  Thankfully, they did not.  I will say this, I did manage to stay dry the entire time (thank you Tourmaster for your riding apparel).  Today's ride was sunny and cool, and a nice change from every other riding day I have had in Turkey.

The only negative of the day was the document check I was pulled into by the police.  Well, me and 20 other cars.  It was kinda of odd.  He asked for my liscence and registartion, and then my passport.  Looked at them for about 5 minutes, then disappeared into his trailer.  Twenty minutes had gone by, all the other cars had left, and I was still sitting there...getting nervous.  I went over to his trailer to see what was going on, I looked through the window, and he was using google translate on his phone to figure out what my documents said.  I walked away, chuckled to myself, and within 5 minutes he came out, gave me the thumbs up, shook my hand and walked away.  Nice guy.  Everyone here has been nice, nothing but kudos for the Turks.

Black Sea










Tomorrow I head into Georgia, a former Soviet state.

Stage Distance: 663 mi (1,069 km) 
Total Distance Traveled by Motorcycle: 23,189 mi (37,402 km) 
Countries/Territories Visited: USA, Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Argentina, Uruguay, Canada, Portugal, Spain, MoroccoGibraltar, France, Monaco, Italy, Vatican City, San Marino, Slovenia, Austria, Slovakia, Hungary, Czech Republic, Poland, Ukraine, Transnistria, Moldova, Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Montenegro, Albania, Kosovo, Macedonia, Greece, Turkey



No comments:

Post a Comment