Friday, April 13, 2018

Khiva, Uzbekistan

I have arrived in Khiva.  The City has been nicknamed the "Gateway to the Desert," as it was the last stop before crossing the Karakum Desert when traveling west on the Silk Road.  Kiva is over 1,500 years old and served as a market place on the silk road and served as a stop for merchants and slave traders.  Today, there is a healthy tourist trade and I have run into numerous tour buses, mostly full of travelers from Western Europe. 

In my case, the the City serves as an entrance to civilization as I am traveling the opposite direction than the merchants of old.  The ride over from Nukus was just a 100 miles or so.  The road is showing considerable signs of improvement but there were still some areas where the road was just...well...missing.

Along the journey, I came across one of the coolest old floating bridges.  It must have been a remnant from the old Soviet Union.  It was quite picturesque, fishing boats near by, winding river, tree lined banks, so I stopped to take a picture.  Unfortunately, the police, one stationed on either side, were not going to allow that to happen.  The Uzbeks seem to be investing quite a bit to attract tourists and they were not going to allow me to take a picture that did not show them in the a positive light.  Understandable I guess, but I honestly thought it was quite attractive scene.

Next stop is Bukara. Readings suggest that a lack of fuel along the route will again be an issue.  My calculations tell me that I can get by with just one 5 liter bottle of gasoline.  Here's hoping that I have calculated correctly. 

Cool buy of the day:  Regular size, soft-serve ice cream cone.  Cost: $0.12

I was shooed away from here too.


Old Town Khiva


Old Town Khiva


Leg Distance: 106 mi ( 171km)
Total Distance Traveled by Motorcycle: 24,521 mi (39,434 km) 
Countries/Territories Visited: USA, Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Argentina, Uruguay, Canada, Portugal, Spain, MoroccoGibraltar, France, Monaco, Italy, Vatican City, San Marino, Slovenia, Austria, Slovakia, Hungary, Czech Republic, Poland, Ukraine, Transnistria, Moldova, Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Montenegro, Albania, Kosovo, Macedonia, Greece, Turkey, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan

No comments:

Post a Comment