Saturday, May 25, 2019

Kuala Lumpur and Melaka - Malaysia



I am heading down the road from Penang to Kuala Lumpur and had the weirdest sensation of nervousness and fear.  I was on an actual uncluttered highway, first one I had been on in about a year.  I looked down and realized I was doing 70 miles an hour, a speed I had not sustained for longer than 20 seconds since leaving Kazakhstan.  The nervousness went and after the first 5 minutes and I shook the anxiety that was reminiscent from when I was a new rider.  All this is to say that Malaysia has fantastic infrastructure that rivals the West.  Beyond that, they had dedicated motorcycle roads, not lanes, but actual roads making getting around Kuala Lumpur very quick and easy.  



I have come across well over 200 adventure bikes during my trip around Malaysia, which is ore than I have seen on this entire trip.  Apparently there are a bunch located in Singapore, and they leave the city-state to stretch so to say.  

I was last in KL about 20 years ago, and things have changed quite a bit, the City is almost unrecognizable. Beyond the infrastructure, the shear number of 40-50 story buildings has exploded.  Most are luxury apartments with roof top pools, gyms, etc, where a two bedroom apartment will run $50,000 - $70,000.  Just so cheap to live here.   Other than see Avengers Endgame and get a visa for Indonesia, there is not allot to do in KL.  

I headed down the coast to Malaka, and old Portuguese settled city that is quite similar to Penang.  The marketing bureau for the City is fantastic as they made a small mediocre city seem fun and expansive.  That being said, the street food is fantastic and a stop in the City is worth it if for no other reason. 



Next stop Singapore.



Leg Distance:  314 mi (507 km)
Total Distance Traveled by Motorcycle: 38,191 mi (62,453 km)

Countries/Territories Visited: USA, Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Argentina, Uruguay, Canada, Portugal, Spain, Morocco, Gibraltar, France, Monaco, Italy, Vatican City, San Marino, Slovenia, Austria, Slovakia, Hungary, Czech Republic, Poland, Ukraine, Transnistria, Moldova, Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Montenegro, Albania, Kosovo, Macedonia, Greece, Turkey, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, China (for 20 seconds), India, Nepal, Burma, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Malaysia

1 comment: