Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Australia to USA: Shipping and Hawaii

My time in Australia has come to an end and now it is time to head to the USA for the last leg of the trip. As one might expect, the hardest part about moving continents is shipping the bike.  The first choice is by air, rather than by boat.  The reasons for this are multi-fold, it is: quicker, more reliable, more easily tracked and claimed and believe it or not, it is cheaper than shipping by boat.  There is a very good shipper in Australia that arranges everything, crating (which is the first time of the trip), delivery to the airport, the actual flight, and delivery to the air cargo facility at the destination.  The only service I had to perform was dropping the bike at the BMW dealership in Sydney, clearing the paperwork at customs (Australia and USA) and reassembling the motorcycle on the dock in the USA, which took me about three hours to perform.  Total cost for the shipment was $1,700.  
Assembling in the United Airlines Air Cargo Warehouse
Half Assembled
When it came to getting myself across the Pacific, it was quite a bit cheaper.  I found an Air Hawaii flight for $400.  I looked for the longest possible connection, in this case 24 hours, and spent the time in Hawaii.  I rented myself a little scooter and cruised around the main island checking out the sights. 

Hawaii
Back in the USA
Almost There....


No comments:

Post a Comment