Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Lake Issyk-Kul, Kyrgyzstan

After running around Bishkek (Kyrgyzstan) obtaining visas, bike repairs, shipments from home (thanks Mike), and other nit-picky things, I decided to head out of the City and see what makes Kyrgyzstan one of the most beautiful places on the planet.  The country in this Country is wild, untouched, and serene with amazing landscapes on all sides.  The trip brought me all the way out to Karakol, a small little town on the eastern side of Lake Issyk-Kul.  The ride out was long, slow going, but scenically rewarding.  

Tian Shan Mountains
The only negative part of the trip were the dozens of police traps.  Notice I didn't say speeds traps, because that is not what they were.  The traps mostly consisted of pulling over luxury automobiles (Mercedes, Lexus, etc.).  Probably a good time to point out the the police here are quite corrupt.  Their approach is quite similar to Colombia, Peru, Bosnia, well, all corrupt police, they ask for your documents, accuse you of a made up charge, then hold your documents hostage for cash.  Typically the amount "requested" is $200-$400 (always in US currency).  I usually argue with them, cause chaos, wear them down, and then after 45 minutes of this, I get my documents back without paying up, and then I go on my way (I did end up in jail once using this approach).  So here in Kyrgyzstan, I was pulled over twice on my way up to the Lake, once for going 78 kph in a 60 kph zone (I was actually doing around 40 kph), and the second time for doing 20 kph over the speed limit, when I asked what was the limit was, the cop looked confused and responded with the same answer, "20 kph over the limit," My theory was that he basically had no idea what the limit was where the trap was set up.  During the shake down, I walked over as he was "shooting" other cars, and his speed gun was not even turned on.  My theory was pretty much proved.  On the first stop, the cops (three of them) and I went through the routine, I handed over my documents, heard my charge, informed it was only payable in cash, and then came the amount, "five -hundred...," oooooh damn, I stared getting instantly mad, about ready to pounce and call him out for being corrupt and preparing myself for battle, and then he said "...som," which is the local currency.  The three man shake-down team took for me $6.45.  I just paid, it wasn't worth the 45 minute argument.   I got wise on the second stop, and just handed him 200 som (less than three dollars), retrieved my documents, and left.  Integrity is apparently pretty cheap here.  Weirdest shake downs of my entire trip.  
-



Lake Issyk Kul and Tian Shan Mountains
Lake Route
Back in Bishkek, I went to a local small motorcycle shop (all motorcycle shops here are very small and out of the way) to buy a new battery.  The owner was very nice and invited me to his motorcycle club's house for dinner.  I met many individuals, all very cool, interested and supportive, and they are helping me map out the most scenic route for a Kyrgyzstan/Tajikistan three week tour. Apparently, passable roads, accommodations, food and fuel are very difficult to come by in this part of the world, so this is very valuable information and should lead to a fantastic trip.  More to come.

Leg Distance: 646 mi (1042 km)
Total Distance Traveled by Motorcycle: 26,717 mi (43,091 km) 

Countries/Territories Visited: USA, Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Argentina, Uruguay, Canada, Portugal, Spain, Morocco, Gibraltar, France, Monaco, Italy, Vatican City, San Marino, Slovenia, Austria, Slovakia, Hungary, Czech Republic, Poland, Ukraine, Transnistria, Moldova, Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Montenegro, Albania, Kosovo, Macedonia, Greece, Turkey, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan

No comments:

Post a Comment