Thursday, May 31, 2018

Trip Issues 9

I went to the Pakistan embassy here in Bishkek to apply for a visa.  My plan was to just drop off the application, but oddly enough I was called back to see the Ambassador for an on-the-spot-interview. Typical questions were asked to include: anticipated date of transit, mode of transportation, path, entry and exit points, who would be joining along, my religion, etc,. etc. etc.  The Ambassador and his assistant took particular interest on my planned route, which seemed logical, until he strongly suggested, more like insisted, that I take a route that would bring me through Afghanistan.  After kindly explaining to him that I was not interested in driving though an active war zone, he again pushed his point informing me that my intended route, China, is boring, and that Afghanistan is much more scenic.  I was a little baffled by the suggestion, as was his assistant.  I am not sure if he was trying to get me to admit that I had been to Afghanistan before (which I had, but did not admit to), or his nice bubbly demeanor was a ruse to have me killed off by either the Taliban, Al Quieda, ISIS, or possibly all three simultaneously.  The interview lasted 45 minutes, and at the end, he told me that he did not see an issue with getting a visa to transit his country, I just needed a letter from the US Embassy stating that they did not object to the transit.

So,  I registered for the next next possible appointment at the US Embassy, which was three days later.  I went in through three security check points, all aware of my visit, to meet with Embassy personnel.  I explained the situation, and they flat out refused to provide a letter.  Their response, "they can look it up online and see that we do not restrict our citizens travels."   I explained to the representative that this is their country and their requirement..  And again, in an ignorant, albeit pleasant manner, I got the response "We are the Department of State, we do not write letters."  Nor support US Citizens abroad, apparently.

So, after multiple attempts (this post is "Trip Issues 9" and all of the other "Trip Issues" posts involve Pakistan), at multiple embassies, I am foiled by my own government.  This seems that I will have to transit the 600 miles by air (Tajikistan to India).  This sucks.



No comments:

Post a Comment