Monday, June 26, 2017

Entry 5: Cadiz, Spain

Cadiz is another beachfront community that City dwellers use to escape the heat of summer.  I had previously been in Cadiz about 15 years ago, back when I was doing work in Madrid and Seville.  The roadway infrastructure has been built up considerably since then, with small two-way roads making way for large 6 lane (three in either direction) major highways.  The beaches here, even though off peak season, were quite packed with people fighting for towel space.  I have spent quite a bit of time in Spain, I truly love this country and its people, but I would pass on Cadiz in the future.



After all my years of riding, I had a first today.  I took a bird to the helmet at 75 mph.  The bird was roughly the size of a Blue Jay and hit where the top of my face shield joins my helmet.  The damage to the bird was devastating, the injuries to myself were limited to ringing in my ears resulting from the tremendous whack of the bird strike.  I am afraid to think of the injuries that would of occurred if I were not wearing my helmet, and even more so, the very possible accident that would of resulted.

It is time to replace the front tire (almost 20,000 miles on a Heidenau K60 Scout) and then head off to Morocco.

Stage Distance:   204 mi
Total Trip Distance: 1,607 mi
Total Odometer Distance: 2,290 mi
Countries Visited (Leg 2): USA, Canada, Portugal, Spain
Leg 1:  https://dualsportamericas.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment