Thursday, June 29, 2017

Entry 7: Tangier, Morocco

I have arrived to the Kingdom of Morocco on the African Continent, the fourth continent that my bike and I have seen together.  I will be spending time in Tangiers for a couple of days before I head down the coast to Casablanca and points further south.  The country itself is predominately Arabic and Sunni Muslim (95%), but clearly a much more relaxed society than the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, the hub of the Sunni religion. The dress code here is not near as strict as Saudi, with females working, both in and out of Abaya and Hajib. All in all, the people have been warm and receiving, even more so once they learn I am from the US.  Moroccans seem to possess allot of national pride, and we were the first country to recognize their break from France as a territory, and establish themselves as a country in their own right, I guess there is some gratitude remianing.  

Drove the coastline and saw thousands of people at the beach, but not one surfboard, kite surfer, or other ocean toy that we are so fond of in the US and Europe.  Tangiers seems to have some money, I rode past quite a few palatial estates located on the cliffs over looking the Atlantic.  The cost of living here is rather cheap, with most everything costing about a third of what it would cost in the western world.




Stage Distance: 4 mi
Total Trip Distance: 1,683 mi
Total Odometer Distance: 2,430 mi
Countries Visited (Leg 2): USA, Canada, Portugal, Spain, Morocco
Leg 1:  https://dualsportamericas.blogspot.com


No comments:

Post a Comment