Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Pisa, Rome and the Pope

Came out of Florence and headed east out to the sea. stopped by Pisa, and the beach for some days off the bike.  Saw some of the sights (Pisa, beach, etc.) and headed down the coast to Rome.  Wandered around and ended up in Vatican City.  Lines were long, and the square in front of St. Peters Basilica was crowded, for what I thought was due to the good weather.  As I entered the square, I noticed all eyes were looking in one direction, and then a voice came over the speaker system, and waddya know, the Pope was addressing the crowd.  Since I am agnostic, and don't speak Italian, the whole experience was a bit lost on me, but pretty cool for the 5 minutes I stayed.  





Stage Distance: 337mi (544km)
Total Distance Traveled: 17,082mi (27,552km)
Countries Visited (Leg 2): USA, Canada, Portugal, Spain, MoroccoGibraltar, France, Monaco, Italy, Vatican City

3 comments:

  1. Didn't you realize you were there for the rare "blessing of the motorcycles"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did, I had a shot of the Pope taking a spin on my bike (he was a Harley enthusiast), but as luck would have it, my finger was in front of the lens....again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. when do you plan on jumping in for a week or two?

    ReplyDelete