Thursday, July 20, 2017

Out of Africa and into Spain

Spent the last couple of days riding from Essouiria, Morocco to Almeria, Spain. The last leg of the journey was by far the most interesting.  I awoke in Algeciras, Spain this morning, had lunch in Gibraltar, Gibraltar (they now have self rule and have declared themselves a sovereign state, as will I), then ran the Mediterranean Coast Highway (it's worth noting that I made up that name, mostly because it has no cool name and that is a shame, its official name is N-340a, and that is so unfitting for this road, so MCH it will be) for a hundred miles or so. The MCH is a rarely used road that is cut into the Andalucian Cliffs, and, as the name I gave it just two minutes ago implies, runs along the Med.  The vistas are insanely beautiful and are enjoyed by practically no one (as is this blog).  I stopped numerous times to take in the sights, pictures, and at one time, a nap in the middle of the road.  Unfortunately for my blogging efforts, and my wallet, the last part of my journey included a stint where my iPhone came free from its mount and tumbled along the highway at roughly 85mph (137kph) for a couple of hundred meters until it came to a rest. Even more unfortunately, any hope of possibly saving some of the data also tumbled to an end when a truck and two cars proceeded to run over what was left of my phone. Most everything is saved to the cloud, of course with the exception of today's pictures, which were not. Sooooooo, in an effort to remember the rock that bears the name "Gibraltar," I have included a picture that I stole from the internet.


Picture I Stole from TravelGuy27
(I made up that name as I was too lazy to go back and look it up)
Tomorrow I continue up the coast towards Valencia and then Barcelona.  

Stage Distance: 708mi (1,141km)
Leg 2 Distance: 2,890mi (4,661km)
Total Odometer Distance (Leg 2): 3,641mi (4,341km)
Countries Visited (Leg 2): USA, Canada, Portugal, Spain, Morocco, Gibraltar
Leg 1:  https://dualsportamericas.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment