Sunday, July 30, 2017

The French Riviera and Monaco

Seems like summer in Europe is the time for adventure motorcycle travelers.  I must pass a couple of dozen riders a day cruising the roadways.  It is understandable as to why there are so many motorcycles around, this part of the world is the Motorsports capital of the world, and there is just so much to see in this part of the world. Today alone I met riders from Italy, Spain, Switzerland and France.  

I got up early this morning, and decided to run a stretch along the French Riviera, to include Monaco.  To be honest, I expected more from Monaco, hotels were starting at $700 a night, and for that you got crowds, a sub par beach and unimaginative buildings.  Monte Carlo was more of the same, wit the exception that the yachts in harbor were beyond compare to anything I had seen before. Some were large enough to mistake for cruise ships.  I actually prefer the small little village I am staying in.  More character, more soul.  

Nice, France
St Laurent d'Etze, France 
Monte Carlo, Monaco
I was running to the market this evening and saw a village on top of this massive rock outcropping (see below), so I decided to investigate.  The village was very slow moving with the locals in for the evening.  I wandered around the narrow passageways and alleys, without a single person taking notice.  Looks like it would be a pretty cool place to live.  Now this place has character.
Pellion, France
Off to Italy.

Stage Distance: 136mi (219km)
Leg 2 Distance: 3.937mi (6,350km)
Countries Visited (Leg 2): USA, Canada, Portugal, Spain, Morocco, Gibraltar, France, Monaco

No comments:

Post a Comment